Project #19: Felt Leaves Tutorial
Leaf Pouch Sleeping Bag & Sunflower Seed Baby
Time: 30-45 minutes
Difficulty: Simple and sweet
When I have the time, I like to make things as gifts for little friends. We also used to make a little gift for our kindy children when it came time for a festival. This felt leaves tutorial is an easy one to do and you can fill it with whatever little treasure you can find- a little sunflower seed fairy like mine, or perhaps a crystal, a mini notebook, sticks of beeswax or whatever you can find. The leaf can be a bed, a very cute gift bag, or even an Advent pocket if you made 24.
Felt Leaf Pouch:
1. Cut both pieces of a leaf template
2. Cut a 4mm wide strip of light brown felt for the stem. Twist it in half and secure it with a stitch. Attach to the back of the large leaf with thread.
3. Blanket stitch around the entire outside edge of the leaf template to create a pouch. Be sure to blanket stitch along the open seam too.
4. To embellish, run a stem stitch along the front piece of the pocket in brown thread.
Sunflower Seed Baby:
1. Find a gumnut and fill it with glue.
2. Place a wooden bead onto gumnut and leave to dry.
3. Cut out two triangular pieces of yellow felt for her sunflower hat. Cut a 5 cm strip of yellow felt into V shapes to make the sunflower crown.
4. Blanket stitch the two triangular pieces together, leaving the base open.
5. Slip it over the bead head, leaving ‘face’ free, and glue in place.
6. Run a gathering stitch along the length of the 5cm V shaped piece, and pull it in to form a circle. Tie a knot to secure.
7. Slip this over the hat and add a tiny stitch to fix it in the right spot.
8. A sweet sunflower seed baby, ready to go nighty nights in her new leaf bed!