Project 15: Nature craft activities for kids
Simple Play: handmade ‘Busy Businessman’ toy
Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: Children can make versions of this guy for puppet shows and play
I had one lonely little gumnut sitting in my craft box last week, just waiting for a transformation in the nature craft activities for kids series. It didn’t even have a little nob on top and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. Then Ned picked it up and started playing with it like a little person. An idea flashed. We decided to make him into a father figure. But he was a little plain-jane for me. So we added a tie. And in a second, he was not just a man, but a business man. A busy businessman in fact. Complete with his own smartphone. (Beeswax and a piece of paper clip.) All set to begin his busy working day.
I think he must be a little lonely to return home by himself at night so Ned and I are on the lookout to grow his family. When we find some, and make them, I’ll post a pic.
1. Find a gumnut. Hopefully, the little tag at the top of the gumnut remains in place. If not, attach a tiny piece of stick with beeswax like I did.
2. Place a tiny piece of beeswax inside smaller gumnut and place it over the tag. The beeswax will hold the head in place.
3. Paint glue around the rim of a third gumnut and place it on the second gumnut for a hat. Now, he just needs to get dressed.
4. To make his necktie, cut a tie shape from a piece of felt and embellish as you like. I like spots. Spots rule. Use a thread to stitch this felt to a piece of wool or string.
5. Tie the necktie in place so Mr Busy Businessman can get to work.
There he goes… ring ring. The day has begun.
What characters might you make? Ned and I would love some inspiration of what family member we might make next?