This has to be my favourite cake so far this year.
And it is pretty good for you too!
Original Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Jackie French.
Healthy and moreish recipe substitutions by my friend Sandi Donaldson
(All substitutions in italics)
- 185 gram butter
- 1 cup brown sugar half cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated/chopped zucchini plus half cup grated beetroot
- 1.5 cups self raising flour use wholemeal sr flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa or carob
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind or lemon/lime rind
- 3 quarters cup of milk of your choice
- Cream butter and sugar
- Beat in eggs one at a time
- Gradually stir in other ingredients
- Bake in cake tin on 180 degrees for 45 mins or until firm
- Cool in fridge overnight.
- (This is where the most amazing chewy texture develops!)
Drizzle with fresh cream to serve!