Happy 1st day of Winter!
(or Summer, should you be Northern Hemisphere bound)
As the weather begins to cool here in Northern NSW, and we head towards winter (oh, perhaps this year I’ll be able to wear those three new hand-knitted scarves I bought two years ago?), I start to crave warming foods such as soups and chowders. With the cold snap last week, I created a new recipe and it was SO GOOD I have to share.
White fish, zucchini, and corn chowder
- 50 grams butter
- 1-2 large pieces of white fish of your choice, cut into small squares
- 1 large zucchini, cut into small pieces
- 2 large handfuls of string beans, trimmed & chopped into small pieces
- 2 large potatoes, washed and peeled, cut into small squares
- 2 cups of full cream milk
- plain flour, 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups of homemade stock -vegetable or chicken (or replace with 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons stock powder)
- 1 whole corn, kernels removed (or 400 gram tin of corn, drained)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour in 1/4 cup water (to thicken, if necessary)
- Fresh bread rolls and butter
The tasty recipe:
- Heat the butter on medium in a large saucepan. Add zucchini, and string beans and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add flour, and stir for one minute.
- Remove from the heat source. Slowly add the stock and milk, stirring constantly, then replace on heat source.
- Add potatoes and white fish. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add corn. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add cornflour mix if necessary to thicken the chowder to your preferred consistency.
- Serve with toasty bread rolls.
Light the fire in your fireplace. (If you don’t have one, snuggle up in woollen rugs like I did.)
Carry your bowls and find the perfect spot to warm your toes while you savour this delicious concoction and warm your belly too. Happy eating.